Leaders from across multiple religious traditions met last week, following the handing down of the Federal Budget, to convey that the #Budget2019, as a statement of our national priorities, does not adequately address the climate emergency we are facing.
As well as calling for stronger, more coordinated action on climate change, the leaders believe the Federal Budget also falls short in some other key areas, including provisions for the most vulnerable here in Australia, and our regional neighbours.
Below are just some of the responses from Uniting agencies and other friends:
- Uniting Church in Australia – Shaping a Just, Compassionate and Inclusive Australia: UCA 2019 Budget response
- UnitingWorld – Another missed opportunity to do more for the most vulnerable
- UnitingCare Australia – It’s not a surplus until you’ve covered the essentials
- Australian Conservation Foundation – Devaluing our environment while fuelling global warming
- Change the Record – Federal Budget to accelerate mass-incarceration as Government abandons Indigenous legal services and punishes people in poverty
The resource prepared in the lead up to the election looks at 7 key areas including climate change and first peoples. Invaluable resource and a great catalyst for informed discussion. Check it out here: Uniting Church in Australia Vision Statement.